Cyber Security Engineer
Many officers and enlisted military accept positions in civilian careers as cyber security engineers. They may work in an in-house Security Operations Center or as a contractor at a security consulting firm.
Are you interested?
Learn about the latest Bradley-Morris career opportunities by starting here.
The cyber security engineer will analyze, identify and escalate security events or incidents within a Security Operations Center (SOC) after thorough investigation. The candidate will be expected to design and implement needed changes to security infrastructure and hardware/software applications.
Skills you will bring to the job/typical duties:
- UtilizeSIEM platform to investigate, analyze and triage security events or incidents; identify the root cause, implement an appropriate solution and provide adequate reporting
- Configure and implement security infrastructure and solutions for network and security technologies
- Provide support for hardware and software applications; monitor and log all issues, troubleshooting outcomes and configurationsC
- ollaborate with IT team on the latest security intelligence tools and technologies
- Regularly review the existing security device architectures and endorse approved updates and enhancements
- Draft configuration manuals, operating procedures, reports and system hardening guidelines
- Applicant should have experience maintaining and utilizing SIEM platforms and/or Intrusion Detection/Intrusion Prevention Systems (IDS/IPS). A bachelor’s degree in Information Security, Computer Science, Information Systems or a related field is preferred. Other preferred skills vary depending on position/company.
Salary and Benefits
(varies by city and experience level):
Most cyber security engineer roles have a salary in the $65k-$100k range annually. This includes company benefits.
Typically reports to: Director/Manager of Information Security
Similar job titles: SOC Analyst; Information Security Engineer
Recent Army, Navy, Coast Guard, Air Force and Marine Corps placements for this position have included:
- Army Signal Corps (O+E), Signals Intelligence Specialists
- Navy IPO+IWO, Information Technicians, Cryptologic Technician
- Air Force Cyberspace Support and Operations
- USMC Cyber Network Operator