Many military officers, non-commissioned officers and technicians transition into civilian careers as sales engineers. The duties of non-commissioned officers in the military are very similar to those of a civilian sales engineer.
Are you interested?
Learn about the latest Bradley-Morris career opportunities by starting here.
The sales engineer is an expert on their company’s products and works hard to solve application questions from clients, follow the proactive sales process and conduct successful sales consultations. They work on their own or in a team with a lead salesperson and are at least partially responsible for the success of their assigned sales territory within a specific market(s).
Skills you will bring to the job/typical duties:
- Educate all clients on best practices and solution capabilities
- Participate with the sales team on early-stage prospect interactions
- Keep up to date on all products or service new releases and specifications
- Develop detailed functional specifications, design documents and test plans
- Assist in the management of the local branch’s revenue budget and sales growth
- Manage all partnerships with and sales to specific territorial markets and manufacturers
- Coordinate consultations with potential clients and ensure ongoing satisfaction with present clients
- Initiate and prepare accurate documentation, reports, schedules, time and expense tracking, and spreadsheets as directed or required by client needs, departmental procedures, and company policy
- Demonstrate continuous effort to improve operations, decrease turnaround times, streamline work processes, and work cooperatively and jointly to provide quality service
- Participate with sales team in trade shows as required
Salary, Benefits and Shift
(varies by location and experience level):
Most sales engineer roles have a salary in the $50k-$70k range annually; commission in addition to this base frequently applies; includes company benefits; may include performance bonuses. Applicant should be open to travelling and potential relocation. $80-140k annually is a reasonable expectation of a career as a sales-engineer given the base+commission structure to most compensation packages.
Typically reports to: Regional Sales Manager, Area Manager or Branch Manager
Similar job titles: Consultant Manager
Recent Army, Navy, Coast Guard, Air Force and Marine Corps placements for this position have included:
- Helicopter Mechanic
- Corps of Engineers
- Combat Arms
- Nuclear Electronic Tech
- Air Defense